Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hurrah for Outings



Last weekend Ben and I visited Terrain--oh boy what a treat.  Owned by the same group that gave the world Anthropologie, Terrain is like Anthro's hip aunt that moved to the country to get out of that dreadful city, but brought along her vintage inspired lifestyle.  And she gardens.  I found out about it actually from a New York blogger--I looked it up because she mentioned it was in Pennsylvania and boy-howdy it was 25 minutes up the road from me!  So, outting it was.

After a few weeks of drooling over the website and its obscenely priced vintageness, I decided I REALLY wanted this.  I've been working up various decorating scenarios for our dining room, which right now has our barn stars in it.  I really DON'T want to go Americana and I had this GREAT idea that included moss, but Ben hates fake moss.  I don't know where this loathing for lichen stems from, whether a traumatic childhood encounter with a pond or its current fad in the decorating world (probably the former), but it was back to the drawing board.  So then I found this sign, which includes my love for typography and it goes with the stars, and I imagined a vintage barn theme going on, sans moss.  He also exnayed dried lavender bunches.  "The smell will interfere with the taste of our food!" he says.  Talk about creative parameters.

So we made the drive out to Terrain, beautiful fall weather decorating the trees and a slight chill in the air.  Just behind an upscale strip mall there she was.  It was just before closing, the sun was setting, and I felt like I was entering an autumn Narnia--transported to a magical, overpriced place (not to be confused with Disneyland).  I took photos by the Mums, my new favorite flower (those hearty Mums!) and we dreamed about our beautiful farm house we will live in someday with distressed concrete counters and wide hallways for grandchildren to run through.  It was a fun time indeed.

Except for the sign.  After a lot of hunting and a little helping by a store clerk we located the reclaimed tractor letters.  And they were about a 4th the size I thought them to be from the image online.  No wonder they were closer to being reasonably priced!  So we left, empty handed but not empty hearted.  We will see you again Terrain, perhaps in the spring.










And yes, I got an iPhone.  And a hipstercam app--so now my life looks 10% more awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment